Work permit haunts me
>> Friday, March 27, 2009
Below you see a form that I have to fill out to purchase a soccer 'license'. In Norway, all players must have this license (which also doubles as insurance) to be allowed to play.
The form is generally simple and straight forward. All you have to do is fill out your name, gender, date of birth and some general information about the last team you played for and pay a relatively small fee and then *wala* you have your license and are officially allowed to play. However, since the form I have to fill out is specifically for international players it gets just a bit more complicated. The information on the front is the same, ... but they also want you to attach copies of your passport (no problem) and (drum roll please) YOUR WORK PERMIT. Yeah, no problem...let me just make a copy of that one real quick.
Are you kidding me? So now because I don't have a work permit not only am I not allowed to work and make money, but I am not allowed to play soccer either? UGHHHHHHH! My coach seems to think it will be alright, as do my teammates...just turn in the application they say. It will work out. I, however, think they are struck with some of the naiveté that I was infected with when I first came to this country. Now I know better--that rules are rules and there are no exceptions.
It will be really hard to give up soccer. It has easily been the best way I have left to blow off some steam. But, as I did with the work permit, I am just going to turn it in, hope for the best, and begin waiting.

3 comments:
Sorry to hear Lisa. I hope your teammates are right!
WTF?! That's ridiculous, and I'm sorry.
That's probably one of the most horrible things I've heard today! Keeping you in my thoughts as you fight The Man to play soccer. :)
Post a Comment