The Bomber (edited)

>> Wednesday, March 25, 2009

I was pretty stoked when I got a library card a couple weeks back. The first book I checked out was an ambitious pick: Krakow was it's title, and it was in Norwegian. I chose the book because it wasn't overly long, seemed like an interesting tale about a woman's experiencing adapting between cultures and I hoped that it would be a good way to further develop my norsk skills. It turned out to be a dud however. On top of being difficult to read because of the writing style and the foreign language element, it was depressing. The book was centered on this woman's feeling of loss after her newborn died right after birth. I read 2\3 of the book, and finally gave up, something that is very rare for me to do. Usually I have to see it through to the end.

The next book I checked out was called Nowhere Man by Alexsandar Hemon. I haven't even given it a chance yet. It seems like a more interesting story and more like what I was looking for when I stumbled across Krakow. I am just not sure if I have the energy to tackle a novel in Norwegian right now however.

So on a whim one sunny afternoon I wandered into the library and this time into the English literature section. I basically chose a book at random, checked it out and went home. I pulled our chair out onto the balcony and sat and read until I lost the sun (which has now dissapeared altogether). The book was titled The Bomber by Liza Marklund. I got hooked into the story right away and was attracted to the strong female protagonist\journalist. I appreciated that she wasn't a perfect hero and that she was genuine. So I kept at the paperback, devouring the thriller page by page trying to find out who was responsible for the Stockholm bombings. I was totally immersed in the story and finished the book last night. Or at least there are no more pages. I am not sure if the story is actually finished.

Page 394 ends (*spoiler alert*) with our protagonist being trapped beneath a large stadium, in the bomber's grasps and with dynamite strapped to her back. She somehow manages to call the newspaper she works for without the killer catching on and so, on pg. 394 we are with the editor at the police station as they are trying to track the call. A systems technician is explaining how the tracking works etc. Let me quote the last bit of the book, and you tell me if you think it is a conclusion or not. (Schyman is the main character's boss and editor, btw).

He turned his back on Schyman and the cop sat on his chair. He clattered away on his keyboard for a couple of minutes, then gave a sigh. 'I can't find it. Are you sure the call came from her cellphone?'

Schyman's pulse quickened. Hey couldn't screw it up. He felt confusion mount within him. Did these people even know what had happened? Did they know how important it was?

And that is the end. Needless to say I was confused, and disappointed. I really am wondering if I am completely missing something, or if there are physically pages missing.

Can anyone recommend a good read, with a good ending?

< *EDIT* I just found out with a little bit of online sneakery that the book is indeed missing pages. 15 to be exact--15 pages missing from the end of the book?!?! Oh yes, that would mean that where I ended off was right at the climax of the story. That's a big pain in the ass.

But then again I know the book was relatively popular in the U.S. so it must at least have a semi-happy ending.
Guess I can just fill in the blanks for myself: she lives, gets promoted, the bomber is captured, her and her family have a happy Christmas, and so on and so forth, happily ever after. ;) >

3 comments:

Meredith March 25, 2009 at 3:47 PM  

Well, I'm glad to hear that the book was missing pages, because that's an absurd ending.

You're right that it's probably a happy ending--though, I just finished a very popular book where the ending was most certainly NOT happy.

Anonymous,  March 26, 2009 at 4:12 AM  

okay so we just read this book in my english class..it was pretty good sort of a figure it out type of novel, but good very good. i thought. you may have read it...The Great Gatsby by f. Scott Fitzgerald....you shoud check it out if you havnt akready lol

-Em

Anonymous,  March 26, 2009 at 4:14 AM  

in fact you can read it online http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/f/fitzgerald/f_scott/gatsby/chapter1.html but you should look up a picture of the cover because it all ties in in the end...

emily

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP