Onsdag på norsk = Wednesday

>> Thursday, March 19, 2009

After we took a vocabulary test in class on Wednesday we walked down to the waterfront and slipped in the back of the Hamar Teater. Our teacher mentioned earlier in the week that we would be going there as a class and watching the dress rehearsal of a new show called Rattus Norvegicus that premieres on Friday. What she didn't mention, however, was that she had WRITTEN the script and that she had used a lot of her experiences from our school as inspiration!

The show was absurdly hilarious, and well acted by only a three man crew. One Norwegian man is forced to take assess his own level of Norwegian-ness after he fails an oral Norwegian test (designed for immigrants) not because he can't speak Norwegian but because he doesn't have the right answers. It was hilarious to see him treated in a similar manner as immigrants are treated and interesting to see how generalizations that we as immigrants are held responsible for fulfilling or understanding didn't apply to Norwegians themselves. The play was a sharp and insightful commentary on culture and immigration, and I was really proud of my teacher Marte Monsen! ;)

After the play, we headed to Poesi as usual (Wednesday!!! YES!). The weather was so crisp and sunny that we took a chance and sat outside of Poesi in the plaza. We sat outside for hours, and I think we have officially recruited some more friends for our coffee crew. Yesterday Svetlana, Ali, Ihjad, Laith, Geisha (from Brazil) and Natali (from Chile) all joined us for varying periods of time. It was gorgeous and the sun felt so good streaming down on our backs. I think maybe spring is actually coming to Norway after all!

2 comments:

Meredith March 19, 2009 at 4:23 PM  

I often wonder if I would be able to pass the American citizenship test. Leaning towards probably not, which is really very sad.

Anonymous,  March 19, 2009 at 4:38 PM  

Well you have a first hand experience on living in a foreign country now. I am sure it is quite different. I often wish I could travel around and experience other countries... but I wouldn't know where to start. Maybe when we get old and retired!!!

Come and visit us and I will make you some corned beef and cabbage!!

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP