Money money money
>> Monday, March 16, 2009
A week ago I got 3 000,- kr from my boss (he still owes me well over 24 ooo) and since I have been resisting urges to spend it all at once--on anything! I could buy three thousand kroner worth of oranges and apples at this point, it is THAT nice to have money in my wallet. I can't even explain how nice it is to be able to buy a frickin' loaf of bread or a carton of milk if we need them!
At the same time, it is painful as I watch each little ore slip out of my hands; it is really hard spending money when you have none coming in! I really hate this feeling of not knowing. . .
AND NO, THERE IS NO MORE NEWS ON THE WORK PERMIT!
Still waiting...
However, I have not just been sitting here idly waiting for the ax to fall. I have mentioned a few posts ago that I was going to speak with a woman who works for Folkuniversitatet (a school that offers a variety of night classes)(the little red owl is their symbol). I had seen on their home page that they were looking for Spanish and English teachers. Turns out they didn't have any open positions at the time, but the woman I had been in contact with wanted to talk to me anyway. Long story short, the 'interview' went GREAT. So great in fact that the woman began to coach me in how I should go about my first English lesson! Cool!
It's not as easy as it seems though. This job needs a work permit just like any other, so again, I am still waiting. It is comforting to know, however, that I do have other options in Hamar besides just making coffee and sandwiches. And, if I do have to go back to the U.S. and reapply from there, having a job as an English teacher is a much more appropriate reason for UDI to grant me the oh-so-desired permit of work.
*Also, for those of you that read frequently enough to notice (or care)...sorry about the ADD with the blog layout. I can't seem to find something that I am satisfied with for an extended period of time. Bear with me.
However, I have not just been sitting here idly waiting for the ax to fall. I have mentioned a few posts ago that I was going to speak with a woman who works for Folkuniversitatet (a school that offers a variety of night classes)(the little red owl is their symbol). I had seen on their home page that they were looking for Spanish and English teachers. Turns out they didn't have any open positions at the time, but the woman I had been in contact with wanted to talk to me anyway. Long story short, the 'interview' went GREAT. So great in fact that the woman began to coach me in how I should go about my first English lesson! Cool!It's not as easy as it seems though. This job needs a work permit just like any other, so again, I am still waiting. It is comforting to know, however, that I do have other options in Hamar besides just making coffee and sandwiches. And, if I do have to go back to the U.S. and reapply from there, having a job as an English teacher is a much more appropriate reason for UDI to grant me the oh-so-desired permit of work.
*Also, for those of you that read frequently enough to notice (or care)...sorry about the ADD with the blog layout. I can't seem to find something that I am satisfied with for an extended period of time. Bear with me.

6 comments:
That's exciting news about the school :) I hope everything works out for you! I'm applying for pretty much my ideal job (well ideal job right out of college). It's as an Immigration Program Assistant at the Canadian Consulate in Seattle. It looks awesome. And I want to live in Seattle.
Very cool! I wish I had job prospects half as cool as that (or job prospects at all, for that matter).
Also nice to get teh moneyz.
Thanks to your wonderful converter, I now know exactly how much money you're tempted to spend on oranges!
You're right though...it's nice to feel like you're able to contribute, even if it is only some milk.
Stupid work permit.
Isn't it funny how anyone can come here to the US and work illegally and get on welfare with no penalty??!!! As much as it sucks being in the pickle you are in... it seems like if the US followed Norway's example a little better... maybe we wouldn't be in such an economic mess!! Good luck with the permit, you will get it... it just will take time.
I'm glad to hear that you are setting yourself up for the best possible chance at this. I'm continually impressed with your dedication to finding something better. Be glad you're over there, finding a "real" job here is near impossible.
So happy for you re: job possibility!!! WOW! A teacher, go figure...sounds fantastic! (Emilys dream job) The work permit bitsucks, sorry it is taking so long! Maybe you can buy some GSC with your $ to go along with your carton of milk!! :)
XOXOXO
Momma
Post a Comment