Brainstorming session:

>> Saturday, May 14, 2011

I am requesting some help!

My boss has hired an interior designer on project New Restaurant and she's working on an artsy wall to spice up the bathrooms. I don't want to give away too much since there are some locals that check in on this blog, but what I need from you all are short, catchy English phrases/interjections. For example...

Wow!
Tell me about it!
You talkin' to me?

And the like.
The more random the better.

Ideas? Feel free to share several!

18 comments:

Meredith May 14, 2011 at 4:49 AM  

Eat dessert first (you KNOW that would make you smile every time you see it!).

Word to your mother.

It's all good.

Shut up!

That's so whack.

You good good look ;)

Sar May 14, 2011 at 6:17 AM  

"Talk to the hand" was popular when I was in junior high...

;)

Jaymo,  May 14, 2011 at 7:00 AM  

How about lines from classic movies?
Never get off the boat- Apocalypse Now
What knockers!- Young Frankenstein
Yeah, I'm gonna need you to come in Saturday
The Germans wore grey, you wore blue
I'm just a sweet transvestite- Rocky Horror
Some call me "Tim"- Holy Grail
Take that shovel and put her to good use- Blazing Saddles
Or lines from songs? Could go on, but...

PiNG aka Patti May 14, 2011 at 9:57 AM  

Doh!
Awesome!
Show me the money!
Where's the beef?

Skogkjerring May 14, 2011 at 10:28 AM  

Ahhhh...so your American restaraunt is going to be top secret eh?? Hmmm, you should get tons of those funny signs that are everywhere right now...like I have some that say, "I live in my own little world- but it´s ok, they know me here" and my husband´s favourite, "If at first you don´t succeed try doing it the way your wife told you!" How about this one- Life is short....Eat Cookies!
Some other ideas- when we would eat with my uncles they would say, Over the lips and through the gums watch out stomach here it comes! Or Bottoms Up? How about- Got Milk?
Kiss The Cook....
And another idea- when you´re making up the menu...try using American names for the meals- like under deserts you could try selling a Brown Cow...(remember those or are you too young? It´s vanilla ice cream with soda/cola) Oh and I hope you guys will have CURLY FRIES...that is TOTALLY American...ok, sorry, really excited for your new place to open so I can check it out...

Formerly known as Frau May 14, 2011 at 12:56 PM  

OMG!
Whatever!
I'm going blank here, not enough coffee in my system this morning! Sounds fun!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Question about your header? Did you do that in Photoshop? I love it!

Anonymous,  May 14, 2011 at 2:15 PM  

Ok- no lie, my astounding creativity took me to the internet. LOL. I found tons of American 'idioms' here: http://www.learnenglishfeelgood.com

I only made it through like the letter 'H', but some of my favs are:

Enough is enough.
What a drag!
Let's call it a day.
Jump on the bandwagon.
That was a close call.
Come to think of it.....
It's about time.
All in a day's work.
I beg to differ.
Don't hold your breath.
Eat your heart out.
Little food for thought...
It's all fun and games.
Don't get carried away.
That hit the spot.

There are hundreds similar to those at that site. I'm not even sure if that is actually what you're lookin for! Either way I so wanna come eat there someday!!!!!

Elisa May 14, 2011 at 10:45 PM  

Hmmm...
"If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen"
"As If"

My favorite so far is is "Word to your Mother." :)

G.W. Bush,  May 16, 2011 at 12:13 PM  

Buck up or stay in the truck.
Sarah Palin

We eat, therefore we hunt.
Sarah Palin

:)

Anonymous,  May 16, 2011 at 9:47 PM  

better to die on your feet than live on your knees.
today's hero is tomorrows crocodile poo.
welcome to the jungle.
beware of the leopard.
space is big, really big.

Unknown May 17, 2011 at 3:55 AM  

Sounds like someone has a case of the Monday's

Annē May 19, 2011 at 12:23 AM  

Who's your daddy?
Drop it like it's hot.
Long time no see.

I also could add some not so common expressions that my boss says all the time. My current favorite is something that he says when he's really surprised about something: "I'll be dipped in dog shit!"

PS I've been behind on reading and have a belated CONGRATULATIONS! to exclaim. TQM!!!! YOu are the best.

Unknown May 19, 2011 at 1:46 PM  

Your comment on my blog about your norsk classes really has me curious. . . and I've been curious about your language-conquering abilities for a while.
What was your language class experience like? (I couldn't find a lot of tags on your blog linking me to class-themed blogs entries). You mentioned in Feb 2010 that you were going to take the Bergen's test--did that happen? Have you taken the other Norsk Prøve tests? Would love to hear what your experience was--and a individual email is fine (if/when you have time--you are a busy girl).
Sounds like you are now heading down a different path from teaching. Good luck with that!
And I'll try to think of some catch-phrases. . .

Sara,  May 24, 2011 at 3:05 AM  

Whatevs

don't forget dessert (PLEASE get something with dessert in there)

You should crack open that old list of funny quotes you wrote freshman year.

Sar May 24, 2011 at 5:03 PM  

Anybody who said "Whose your daddy?" made me laugh profusely.

In other news, just gave you a Stylish Blogger award! Check it out and pass it on!

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP