A happy mistake?

>> Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I finally got this driver's license business figured out (I think). That is not to say that I am a proud owner of a Norwegian license and all the stress is lifted, oh no...but I did finally manage to jump through all the necessary hoops and submit my application!

After getting a tad bit bitchy\desperate with the third customer service representative I talked with on the American side of things, I FINALLY got the document I needed to satisfy the Norwegian side of the coin. There's actually a lot of fun details here about me dominating and being confrontational and somehow professional at the same time, but the moment has passed. I will spare you the ranting. ;) Since then I have received a letter in the mail giving me all kinds of happy details about how I should proceed with this exhilarating process.

Remember how I was stressing about March 1st? Because you only have a year after you are legally in the country (March 1st for me last year)? Well this long awaited letter included a new temporary license for me...which lasts until April 27th. ???? Here's a rough translation of what I believe must be a happy mistake:

According to the paperwork adjoining your application, you received the right to reside in Norway March 11th, 2010. Provided that your application is approved by the police, you will be allowed to exchange your driver's license after passing the practical test for category B within April 27th, 2011.

Seriously: who would have ever guessed that their incompetence would turn out in my favor? This is the nicest mistake Norwegian bureaucracies have ever gifted me! First of all, I got the right to live here March 1st, not the 11th, but totally cool that they want to give me an extra 10 days. I'm down with that. I am also not sure how March 11th to April 27th is the one year time span allowed but again--not complaining!

And what makes it even better is that when I was in their office and turned in my application I got a temporary license right away. That is to say a piece of paper that replaces my American license that I had to turn in *sob*. This license had the appropriate time period; I only had 'til March. And then I get this letter with a new temp license that's good until the end of April! I'm confused but it seems that he gods are smiling on me!

Now I have the luxury of waiting a bit longer to take the driving test until the roads are less like hockey rinks and more like roads... and maybe even teach myself to drive a stick so I can get that out of the way and over with!
This is good folks, this is really good.

9 comments:

Anonymous,  February 22, 2011 at 2:24 PM  

congrats on this :-) that is so exciting! i was recently over there and thought to myself that i could NEVER attempt to drive in norway because the roads were confusing to me. then i remembered the trouble i have driving in the US :-)

good luck!!!

<3 megan
http://www.suitcaseandstilettos.com

Unknown February 22, 2011 at 2:53 PM  

Good luck getting it all scheduled by Apr 27th!
In the meantime, maybe you should buy that spark to get around, just in case. . .
;)

Your little secret is now not so secret.

Anonymous,  February 22, 2011 at 7:06 PM  

Im glad that it is going better! dd

Sergey February 22, 2011 at 8:44 PM  

I wonder if anyone would still want to move to Norway having read in your blog about all that hassle with work permits and now the driving licence.

And the fact that they ask you to turn in your american licence or american citezenship in case if you want to get a norwegian one just doesn't make sense to me. Feels like you gotta sell your soul to become a part of that little country.

But I really like your perseverance:)

m. February 22, 2011 at 8:59 PM  

Woohoo!

So glad that it's little less of an ordeal now! Best of luck learning to drive stick. I hope once you learn you'll never want to go back --- it really is the best!

Skogkjerring February 22, 2011 at 9:31 PM  

Oh my God, you have to go through so much I never did!! I'm so glad I came in to the country 16 years ago!! Much easier! I just handed them my American driver's license and got a Norwegian one- good until I'm 100 years old!!! ;-)) I feel so bad for you and so happy for me...but I guess this is good news so I can be happy for you too!! YEAH! :-)

Baloo February 22, 2011 at 10:57 PM  

Yay! Now learn how to drive a stick. Pro tip: It's fucking hard, for those of use who cut our teeth on automatics.

Unknown February 28, 2011 at 12:38 AM  

Hooray! Driving a stick is easy...just be patient, it will come to you and then it will click. Although, you're smarter than the average human being, so I would say that it should click for you a little faster ;) (no pressure!)

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP