Thanksgiving?
>> Wednesday, January 12, 2011
It's already 2011!
I came to Norway for the first time in 2008. Unbelievable. I can't believe how time flies.
It's also impressive to me how many small things have changed in my life and also how easy it was for me to adjust to those changes (not to mention how normal it seems now).
One of those many "small" things are the way we celebrate holidays. Obviously traditions change naturally over time, as you grow up, move out of your parents house, when you are in a relationship and so on. I would also argue that moving to another country quite possibly makes for the biggest change of all!
Thanksgiving for example--how does one go about celebrating an authentic American holiday that falls on a Thursday in a different country without anyone that really has a connection to it? It doesn't happen on it's own, that's for sure. This November there was no Thanksgiving, no turkey and no pumpkin pie. I worked through the holidays--blinked, and they were gone. Luckily I put it an extra effort last year with paper turkey hats and other foolishness haha!
However, I am not sure what will happen to a person if they go an entire year without a good-sized portion of stuffing...so Lars and I decided to host a combined Thanksgiving\New Years dinner party.Our turkey was a tad bit dry, there was no cranberry sauce and still no pumpkin pie PLUS there were quite a few family members missing. However, it was easily the best Thanksgiving\New Year's party I have ever experienced! And I think our guests had a good time too. Check out all those empty plates! That's gotta be a good sign! ;)
At midnight there was the necessary champagne, sparklers and romantic kiss from Lars (all three things that are now a must on Thanksgivings to come).
We played Trivial Pursuit into the wee hours, boys against girls, according to my family tradition. We don't need to mention who won. ;)
All in all, it was a great evening. And morning. I don't remember crawling into bed before 5am.
Maybe we'll even combine next year...who knows!?

4 comments:
Your pre-dinner party table looks like something out of a magazine. Working in restaurants has taught you how to fold napkins in awesome, fancy ways, which I think is a very valuable life skill. One that I'm lacking in. I guess I worked in crappy restaurants, so no magazine covers for me. On a different note: I am too lazy to bounce over to the proper page, but I liked the photos from Meredith's fun assignment, and this post gave context to the one of Lars with the Trivial Pursuit wheel. I dug that one.
Seriously, you're totally 1337 at throwing adult parties. All i do with my friends is drink and watch movies.
Yeah, your table looked gorgeous and the empty plates are definitely a good sign!!! I was looking at all the empty glasses around the trivial pursuit board and thinking, how could they play such an intellectual game after drinking so much?? Bet there was some funny ass answers coming out of people's mouths as the night wore on!!!
You can totally make pumpkin mash next year and freeze it and use it to make pumpkin pie next time- IT'S EASY!! And the dry turkey you can also improve on...practice makes perfect!!
I really miss you, Lisa.
Post a Comment