Some practical information.
>> Thursday, January 13, 2011
I have been contacted numerous times by other Americans that are in similar situations to where I was when I first came to Norway and started navigating the labyrinth of immigration bureaucracy. I am more than happy to help in any way I can because I so desperately needed advice and support myself and just didn't know where to find it. I remember so well how many dead ends and frustrated hours I spent trying to find a solution for me and Lars and a life for us here.
Not only has this been a time consuming and exhausting process, it has also been expensive. The first application I submitted cost me a little under 2.000,- kroner, the one that ended up going through cost a bit over 3.000,- kr; I have taken numerous trips to Oslo (train travel is not cheap, let me tell you) to the American Embassy and been charged all kinds of different fees. And today I had to shell out some more cash.
The permit that I was issued last March is only good for a year. So that means I have to renew it. And in turn, that means I have to take a trip to visit one of my favorite buildings in Hamar (drum roll please): the police station.
I sat and waited patiently, like the nice foreigner I am, and made sure all my paperwork was in order. When my turn came I approached the desk, explained my case and was reassured that I had done everything correctly.All that was left was to pay up... a fee of 1.100,- kr! As of right now that's $186.41! Ugh, killer. I don't understand why it is that expensive just to renew a permit. I do understand that it costs money for the government to employ people to sit there and sift through application after application and make decisions on people's lives, I get that, I really do. But my application is as cut and dry as it gets--they have already issued me the permit! All they have to do is just print out a new sticker and slap it in my passport! Why the heck does that cost so much?
But whatevs. What's one to do really? It's a necessary evil. And to be honest, I would much rather be in my shoes paying a chunk of change every year than where I was in 2008 trying to find a loophole in the system. That's a tough spot to be in. This, believe it or not, is much better.
PLUS, my day could not be ruined. I was so pleased with myself for making the correct decision to wear long underwear, a hat, a scarf and my awesome Norwegian mittens (it was cold today!) that nothing was going to stop me. I have at an age of 24 finally learned how to dress myself properly!Good luck to all of you trying to work the system, both here in Norway and elsewhere!

6 comments:
Haha how do you say "I can dress myself!" in Norwegian?
I'm going through this process right now. Did you know UDI has an online application portal? You can fill in, turn in the application, and pay your renewal fee online. But get this: You still have to go to the local police station to turn in that little paper that says yes, we're still in a relationship, here's our signatures to prove it. Not like this info couldn't be found out through Folkeregisteret. Blargh! Good luck with your renewal!
I knew I have to renew my permit later this year, but I had completely forgotten about the fee. 1100NOK? Gross!
It seriously amazes me all the craziness that you and Sara have had to go through...NUTS.
And my latest is: 6000K ($1000) for drivers licenses for the two of us. "lessons", "car rental" ('cause you can't use your own), test, and license fee. Arg.
I have to do a bunc fo stuff too..not as expensive though.
I replied to your comment on my blog but wanted to post it here too..They dont sell sticks of butter here either. 1 cup of butter is 225 grams and half cup is roughly 113 grams. You can change the recipe/taste alot by not using enough,to much,or leaving an ingredient out all together :) It's annoying sometimes to figure everything out when trying to make a simple batch of cookies..lol I have often stomped out of the kitchen when not being able to find a certain ingredient I need..lol
Post a Comment