Grandma's Cheese Pie
>> Tuesday, January 26, 2010
As per requested, I will indulge my Grandma's Cheese Pie recipe. However, be careful with its powers. It is technically one of those secret family recipes that should only be handed down from generation to generation, and should be treated with the due respect it deserves.
By the way, my grandma's name is Patricia...so it you feel like jacking the recipe but aren't quite comfortable saying it's Grandma's Cheese Pie, then go for Patrica's Cheese Pie or something similar. :)
Grandma Pat's Cheese Pie
CRUST:
10 rectangular graham crackers, crushed.
3/4 cube butter, melted.
Mix together and line a 10" pie tin.
FILLING:
1lb soft cream cheese (go ahead, splurge on Philadelphia, you won't regret it).
2 eggs, beaten.
3/4 sugar.
1/2 tsp. vanilla.
Beat together with a mixer until smooth. Pour into crust.
Bake 15 minutes at 350° F.
TOPPING:
1 small container (8 ounces) sour cream.
2 tbsp. sugar.
1/2 tsp. vanilla.
Mix gently, pour and spread over warm pie.
Return to oven at 375° F for 5 more minutes.
When cool refrigerate for 8-12 hours.
Devour.
This pie here has a bit too thick of a crust, or not enough topping--however you want to look at it. The proportion is off a bit because I used a dish that was a bit too wide and only increased the amount of cookies for the crust ( I needed more butter in my crust too but that's what I get for not following Gma's recipe!).The good news is that it is not so finicky. You can have a thicker or thinner crust based on your taste, or more or less sugar, butter, vanilla etc. I have not bombed on this pie yet! I have also always made the pie the night before I plan on serving it which helps. If you do end up screwing it up then you have time to come up with something else! I think that is generally a good rule. I also try to make sure there will be lots of other people invited to help me eat the pie. Also a good rule.
I haven't been able to find graham crackers in Norway. I suspect they don't exist. So when making the pie on this side of the Atlantic, I use some oat-y cookies called Bixit and I think that might make the pie EVEN BETTER (I never thought that would be possible).

2 comments:
Hmmmm...I may have to give this one a shot! I LOVE me some cheese!
Make your own graham crackers and YES I am going to jack this recipe. Can you get whole wheat flour there? I am trying a graham cracker recipe tomorrow using whole wheat flour. I will post it on Momma Chef if it turns out well.
Post a Comment