Pushing 80°

>> Tuesday, June 2, 2009

This entire weekend was H-O-T, with beautiful blue skies and almost no clouds in sight. Lars and I spent a lot of time out in the sun, reading, playing, biking, grilling etc. etc. It was glorious. Did I mention it was a three day weekend? A religious holiday. Thank God!

This part of the lake is called Koigen. It is close to the city center and houses a skate park, a basketball court, and lots of open grass in additional to this man-made strip of beach. The whole weekend it was packed with people laying out and baking themselves and then trying to dare a dip in the lake, which is, by the way, freezing. Lars and I know from experience; we both braved the icy depths and survived to tell the tale! I was pretty proud of us, but I must also say it was quite a humbling experience watching ridiculously cute toddlers frolic around naked in the same water that makes us adults cringe!

But one of the coolest parts about this Norwegian summer that is rapidly approaching (I would argue that it is quite possibly already here) is that it is light so late into the evening. Dusk starts creeping down on us around 10-11ish. It is awesome and such a relief to spend some time outside when the sun isn't so fierce. In this light, our balcony has become quite a hot spot in the evenings.

The picture below for example, was taken Saturday evening (without a flash) in the middle of Hamar at around 10.30pm! Do you believe it?

As excited as I am to reunite with family and friends this summer in WA, I will say without hesitation that I am a bit bummed to be leaving Norway now that it is summertime! Any one have any suggestions as to how to be in two places at once? :D

2 comments:

Zach June 2, 2009 at 8:55 PM  

Beautiful picture of you and Lars!!

Meredith June 3, 2009 at 5:40 AM  

I didn't realize there were lakes/beaches like that in Norway...I had been fooled by all the snow!

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP