Konfirmasjon in pictures

>> Sunday, June 7, 2009

Since mid-Thursday I have been hanging in Tynset with Lars' family. Lars left on Wednesday morning for a job related trip, first to Oslo and then to Stockholm, Sweden. He and I were both invited to come to Tynset this weekend to attend Torgeir's confirmation but since Lars was out of the country and I will also be leaving the country soon, I thought it would be nice to visit the family all by myself!

In Norway in this day and age, the confirmation at age 15 is an important coming of age ceremony. Although it has had deep religious meaning in the past (for example even as late as 1912 Norwegians were not allowed to get married or even work unless they had been confirmed) the ceremony today is more tradition than anything else.

It is also a great excuse for the whole family to get together, and another day when Norwegians wear their bunads. There was first a church service with a very formal dinner party for the closest family. We joined the party afterwards for coffee, cakes, a slideshow, songs, games and some more food. And man oh man there was such a spread of cakes!

The whole gang!

Torgeir with his two sisters

Stine is underneath there!

Classy! :D

Tug of war! Not so easy in nice clothes...

Basically the cutest Norwegian kid ever.

Potato sack races.

She reminds me a bit of Breena.

And then another fun day in Tynset is officially over.
The end.

1 comments:

Meredith June 8, 2009 at 3:34 PM  

From the pictures, I'm loving the Norwegian culture and traditions! Sometimes, I wish we had more of that here!

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP