Some things don't translate well.
>> Friday, July 9, 2010
Like holidays for example.
Last weekend Lars, Martin and I took a trip to Tynset for the weekend. We took it fairly easy, wandered around town, went to a concert Saturday night and did our best to celebrate the 4th of July in Norway.Lars grilled some homemade burgers, Stine made a pasta salad and we had strawberry shortcake for dessert. Good company, good food, good times...
Most of the puzzle pieces were in place (just missing some fireworks and of course the American friends+family) but for whatever reason it just didn't satisfy my July 4th appetite. Maybe it was because we were a bit worn out from the party the night before, or that we didn't really have much time since we had to travel back to Hamar that day--I'm not really sure.
Maybe some things are best celebrated in their county of origin. I'm not certain 17. mai would translate too well to life in the US either. I mean...ugh, I dunno...it's just not the same.
What I am sure of, however, is that it made me more homesick than ever! It's been too long; I NEED to visit home.
The end.

6 comments:
If it makes you feel any better, I was thinking this morning how envious I am of you for getting out of this country.
I LOVE that dress you're wearing! So gorgeous on such a beautiful woman.
Yep I had the same feeling here. The celebration was flat..missing all of those elements that make that day so special. I havent been home in 3 years and have no idea as to when I will be going back for a visit:(
We hung my big flag outside our door and had a good old fashioned BBQ. But you're right. Without the fireworks and swimming and kids everywhere and street party BBQ's...it's just not the same.
But that strawberry shortcake looks REALLY good.
I agree, super cute dress!
I agree, that dress is HOT.
PS- how are you liking the book The Help?
Post a Comment