SOLD
>> Friday, November 13, 2009
About an hour into my journey across the Atlantic I finished a book called Sold, by Patricia McCorkmick. The book was almost poetic in structure so that explains why I whizzed through it so fast (besides of course the well-known fact that I am both an insanely fast reader, and a genius).
I recommend the book. It was a moving tale that made me think, inspired creativity and stretched my mind. It was easy for me to connect to the main character, 13 year old Lakshmi, and I would think it would be easy for almost anyone to do the same (assuming you have a soul).
Here is a summary of the book that I borrowed from TA Book Log:
...Thirteen year old Lakshmi lives in the mountains of Nepal with mother, baby brother and step-father. Her family is so poor they cannot afford a tin roof like the other families in the village. Lakshmi wants to go to the city to work so that she can send money back to her family but her mother wants her to stay in school. After a horrible monsoon that washes away the crops and destroys the already tattered roof, Lakshmi's step-father says that she is to go to the city to work. Lakshmi is happy, proud that she will be able to help her family. She soon learns that her job in the city is not the maid job she thought it would be. Lakshmi's step-father has sold her into prostitution and now she is stuck in India forced to pay off the price that was paid for her. Lakshmi struggles to make it through the nightmare her life has become and dreams of the day she will be free again.

4 comments:
If we still kept track of quotes, I think that line about you being an insanely fast reader and a genius would most definitely be included.
I love your blog.
I wish I was an insanely fast reader. That would make my life considerably easier.
I dare say, however, that I'm still a genius, despite reading at the pace of a mildly retarded diplodocus.
I know I'm a bit behind here on the blog, but I feel like someone left their hard earned sense of propriety and manners back here in the states. For shame. For. Shame.
Also, since everyone else bothered to mention the genius gaff, I'm going to change things up. I don't like the assumption about the soul. It hurts me. Deep in my... well... deep.
Post a Comment