Interview @ Energisenteret
>> Thursday, November 12, 2009
Did I mention I had a job interview on Tuesday?
I hopped the train to Lillehammer, and then hopped another train up to Hunderfossen Familiepark, which is basically your typical theme park. In the back of the park is this cool place called Energisenteret, or The Energy Center. I would compare it to the Science Center in Seattle (if you are familiar with that), or at least it is the same kind of idea: an interactive learning center. This one in Hunderfossen is smaller than the Science Center and is focused specifically on energy and electricity.
(Main entrance to the Energisenteret)
The job I applied for is as a veileder, is part time, and would be executed mostly in Norwegian. If they somehow want to hire me, then after extensive training and learning about sustainable energy and getting to know the exhibits and center, I would be leading groups of people through the center highlighting certain things, explaining others, answering questions and leading some small scale "presentations". I would expect there to be a bit of babysitting as well as most of the groups are high school kids or younger, haha.The job is by no means ideal for me. Don't get me wrong--it sounds interesting and just briefly walking through the center definitely sparked my interest in all things electric, but I cannot honestly say that energy and turbines and wires have ever really been high on my list of life passions. Additionally the job is part time, about 12-16 hours a week and will absolutely not be magically granting me a work permit anymore than my barista job did last time around (work permit worthy jobs are full time, among other things).
I am thinking all these factors combined to give me a really relaxed, care-free attitude while på vei to Energisenteret. Honestly--no part of me will be disapointed if I don't get this job! I was going into it thinking of it as practice for other interviews and a chance to explore, and not much more. And I must say, that is easily the most empowering feeling when you are going to an interview, to be held in a foreign language (that you haven't spoken consistently for months), somewhere in the wilderness where you have never been before!
Typically, I should have and would have been nervous. I probably would have started sweating awkwardly and unknowingly made some sexual reference in Norwegian when trying to break the ice. At least it would have made for a good story. The real story is much less exciting actually; after getting off the train in the middle of adventure land, the sun busted out from behind a cloud and shone on the thin crunchy layer of snow. I had to walk through the abandoned theme park to get to where the Energy Center is (the absolute back of the park). I actually hopped a low gate to get in, and then wandered around a bit since I was early. The park seemed like it would be a lot of fun, when it's open that is. Otherwise it was a bit creepy to be the one and only visitor.
Which probably should have made me nervous, but since in such a positive way, I didn't really have much riding on the job itself, the situation just made me chuckle. I met the interviewers, became an interviewee, miraculously impressed them with my Norwegian and made them laugh and then headed home. I think I will hear tomorrow if I am in the running or not. Pretty exciting... of many other perks that I am sure come along with working in adventure land (did I mention the wage was $52.04 an hour?), I would get to walk by this princess castle everyday on my way to work!
I have also applied for numerous other jobs, most of them being receptionist or administrative assistants in Oslo. I have no idea what to expect, no idea if I will get interviews, get laughed at, get hired or what! Guess we will just wait and see! Gotta love the waiting game!

6 comments:
I love reading your writing...it's fantastic, just FYI.
:) Sending good luck wishes!
Woah, and that was me on my homework account (the email account I make my students send their homework so it doesn't clog up my real inbox).
That's great, Lisa! I bet you did wonderfully. And 50 bucks an hour ?!?! That's so much... but I think Tony told me one time that he paid about 30 bucks for a sandwich in Norway, so its pretty equivalent, right? I hope you get the job!
Good luck. I know you will find something perfect for you!
That castle is beautiful. And, the thought of all of those buildings just there...as I walked by them by myself, is creepy. It's so cute though at the same time...I think that's what really makes it creepy haha. Eerie. That's the word.
Good adventure. Props to you Lisa. Keep it up. I need more adventure in my life. I have one to tell you about...but not here, haha..
hey! Not ALL highschoolers have to be babysat >:/
Post a Comment