Offensive headdresses

>> Tuesday, October 11, 2011

 Something a good friend of mine posted on Facebook got me thinking about Halloween costumes and unfortunately political correctness as well. Being "pc" can seriously be a pain in the ass sometimes. Or maybe "being pc" is the wrong term to use here since politically we still recognize Columbus Day but I digress...

What I am asking is this: is dressing up as a Native American offensive? Check out this link from what Colleen posted and think on that:

Your friend's Halloween costume:
Face it: You're likely to have at least one non-Native, non-thinking friend decide to go the headdress route come Halloween this year. Speak up and let them that their costume is not cool—and let the retailers who sell these costumes know how you feel too. You can start with Costume Craze and their "Adult Super Deluxe Indian Woman" outfit:
man and woman dressed as Native people looking like jerks
Type in the coupon code INDN45 and save 20%! Seriously.
Contact Costume Craze here.
Again, these are just a few examples of the Native appropriation happening RIGHT NOW on Columbus Day. Share yours in the comments, and use your day off to call out some of the exploitation and racism that's been a part of this country since 1492.

Is it offensive to dress up as Hitler? Bush? A geisha? A pimp? A hillbilly? A suicide bomber? A Jehovah Witness? A Mexican? A jailbird? A ninja? The devil? Harry Potter? A sexy nurse? A nun? An Amish person? The typical "ball and chain"? A fairy? A ghost?

I am sure that all of these costumes could offend someone...some of them more than others of course. Some of them offend me, and some of them don't--I think it tells me a lot about where my passions lie and what is important to me.  
Where do you draw the line?

7 comments:

Formerly known as Frau October 11, 2011 at 2:04 PM  

I personally think in the grand scheme of things they are just costumes and the holiday is about having fun...now on others expense...I think it depends on the situation. In order to not offend anyone we would only be able to dress as pumpkins and ghost!
Great topic!

Sar October 11, 2011 at 3:28 PM  

I think the more offensive thing is that it was on sale for Columbus Day. Just saying.

I hate Halloween. Dressing up has never been my thing. You could say I'm a Hallow-weenie.

Meredith October 11, 2011 at 4:25 PM  

Ohhhh, interesting one Lisa.

I honestly don't think I've ever been truly offended by a Halloween costume. On occasion, I've thought that a costume was in poor taste for the location, but no costumes have really made me mad.

I read the article on Bitch, and I understand their stance on appropriation, but I'd be curious if they take such a strong stance on other textiles& prints from other cultures. Do any of us have a second thought about wearing plaid?

Elindomiel October 12, 2011 at 6:02 AM  

When I was five I dressed up as the cutest little stereotypical Mexican girl ever, with a big sombrero. It wasn't meant in a negative light, but it did reduce the nationality to a sort of caricature, and I don't exactly advertise it to my Mexican friends... Im not sure how I'd feel about dressing my kids up as that now for example. It's weird. Yeah, I think almost any halloween costume could offend someone. Once one of my black friends put on a white trash bag and she was 'white trash' for Halloween... and you know what it was hilarious. I guess if we would just try to stick to fictional characters or objects we would be okay...

Unknown October 13, 2011 at 7:30 AM  

Hmm...my boyfriend should have thoughts on this, but he probably does not haha.

I did not celebrate Columbus Day. He was an idiot LOL.

Unknown October 13, 2011 at 7:51 PM  

Ya... perhaps I am not the most PC person... i think the costume is cute.. I will wear it.. I LOVE HALLOWEEN.. & am sure I have had some pretty offensive get ups.. I have gone as White Trash.. (as your friend mentioned) a One night Stand.. an Indian (from India).. I loved the Sari I had bought in India & figured WHY not? Great post!

jaymo,  October 14, 2011 at 5:34 PM  

I think a costume that reminds people of the beauty of native American cultures is fine. You can find someone to get offended about nearly anything. I believe you ought to take everything in the spirit it was intended...if something's not meant to be offensive, let it slide.

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP