A big relief.

>> Thursday, March 31, 2011

Well ladies and gentlemen, I did it. Last Wednesday I managed to pass a driving test after having my license for almost 8 years. Whoohoo.

When I put it that way, it doesn't seem like much of a feat. But holy moly I felt pretty darn accomplished when I walked out of the DMV (which isn't called that in Norway btw, it's called Statens Vegvesen) knowing that that chapter of making an international move was out of my way.

It's normal to be nervous before any kind of test. But personally I've never really struggled too much with nerves, at least not when it comes to tests. A lot of times after a big presentation or exam I would notice the physical effects of stress but wasn't necessarily aware of them beforehand. But for some reason, this driving test freaked me out a bit. Waiting at home the morning of was excruciating! I seriously do not remember the last time I have experienced anxiety like that; it was strange and totally uncharacteristic for me.

But as soon as I got out the door and got moving, the nerves took a load off. I walked the 40 minutes to the driving school and drove calmly for about an hour with a really helpful instructor. Before the lesson, I was really worried about roundabouts and all the tricky right-of-way rules downtown, not to mention the icy conditions that I have basically zero experience with and the fact that I hadn't really driven much more than around the block a couple times gearing between 1st and 2nd in the past year which makes me both unfamiliar with Norwegian roads and rusty in general! Hmm, maybe it's not so strange that I was nervous eh? But the instructor helped me so much. He really put me at ease and answered all my questions. I wouldn't have had a chance to pass the test afterwards without that driving lesson (which was mandatory btw--you can't rent a car for the test without one)!

When it came to the actual test, it wasn't all that different that my experience in the U.S. Right away though, the sensor pulled out this stack of laminated flash cards that I had to choose from. Apparently answering a random safety question is a part of the Norwegian test. Why did no one tell me this?! She asked me something complicated about the dangers of misusing tåkebaklys (rear fog lamps, wtf?!) and somehow I managed to squeak out an acceptable answer. Thought I was done for for a minute, I must admit.

But after that and following a bit too closely back a tractor and accelerating a little too slowly right out of Statens Vegvesen, it went smoothly. So yeah. That and 3,654kr are over and done with. The car I rented (you have to rent a car to take the test with here) was an automatic so my license that I got in the mail yesterday with a hideous picture (seriously BAD, total mugshot) is only good for driving automatic motor vehicles. Legally I will not have the right to drive a stick until I take the same test again with what is known as a "regular" car here. ;)

But hey, at least I didn't have to parallel park!

7 comments:

Michele April 1, 2011 at 8:04 AM  

Congratulations! That's a real achievement! I remember taking my driving test here and being very nervous, too. High five, girl! Celebration time!

I didn't realize that if you take the test in an automatic, your license restricts your ability to drive a manual. That's ridiculous, in my opinion. I mean, the rules are all the same, right? You just learn to drive the car and you're golden, right? Makes no sense to me.

So, what is the danger with the misuse of rear fog lights? I have no idea!

Sarah Elisabeth April 1, 2011 at 11:58 AM  

Congratulations! Got my own license recently so I know how it feels to be a little nervous! Why didn't you get your license for stick shift this first time instead of paying so much money twice?
Gratulerer uansett! :)

Baloo April 1, 2011 at 6:48 PM  

Congrats!

I can start a stick-shift, and probably get it moving, but after that, it's in Quetzalcoatl's hands.

Unknown April 1, 2011 at 10:15 PM  

Isn't it bizarre not to have to parallel park for your driving test? The thing every 16 year old in the US freaks out about? And I think I failed my safety test: they asked me about how far back the safety triangle should go behind the car. WTF? I squeaked out a wrong answer, but somehow still passed. . .
Your blog reminds me I should have and still should do an entry about the whole driving test experience, because it's all so ludicrous.

Anonymous,  April 1, 2011 at 10:29 PM  

Congrats!!!! I bet you're so excited :-) Love your new header too!

Natalina April 4, 2011 at 8:43 PM  

Wow congratulations!!

I'm almost 30 and I still don't have my drivers licence! maybe I should really go after it once and for all! ;)

Corinne April 5, 2011 at 5:17 PM  

Congratulations! No parallel parking?! I lost so many points on my US test because of that, grrr. Jealous, jealous, jealous.

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP