Misunderestimations.

>> Tuesday, June 1, 2010

It's June!?

And before I say anything else, I just typed "misunderestimate" in a message to a friend. Isn't that a "word" that Bush made famous? HELP! Friends, family--please call me, type to me, send me emails, letters, whatever! Force me to engage my mother tongue! My Norwegian must be getting stronger by the day, but apparently my English skills are sadly diminishing. Seriously--a Bushism in my everyday thought process? I am happy that I caught it, but still: what a disgrace.

I finally got access to my bank account! I am officially set up with online access to my very own, official Norwegian bank account! Yipee! So today I logged in to check out how much money I got for my first norsk paycheck ever only to see that my balance was 0,00 kr. Apparently my boss didn't go out of his way to pay me (I didn't have my tax card and account number in order until after my first payday). I hadn't really expected him to in the first place but got my hopes up after a conversation we had. Must have misunderstood him. Such is the life of an immigrant navigating the work world in a foreign language. It's not the first time there's been such an occurence either--today he said that he was nauseous and I thought he said he was warm. He definitely looked at me funny when I said "me too".

To be honest the zeros in my account don't matter that much right this moment; it would of course have been fabulous to see the kroner of my hard work in my digital piggybank but I don't even have my debit card yet (coming soon in the mail near me). I feel like June 10th is going to be a pretty lucrative day in my future...

We lost our first soccer game of the season. We played against a ghetto\tough\dirty team from the other side of the lake (think Willamette or Pacific if you know me from PLU or South or CK if you're a high school bud) . We definitely played like crap, I definitely played like crap; all of our star players played like crap; I may have lost the starting position I finally earned back; it was hot, sweaty AND we had a ridiculous crappy ref. It was just one of those days. The tides were against us, I guess. Or more honestly: we basically lost it for ourselves before the game even started and never mustered up the guts to get back on top.

We will beat them next time. For sure. And we are pumped to make up for that crappy game and get out some agression Friday night against Lillehammer. It should be fun. :) If I am benched, I am hoping to take some rad pictures.

The weather has really turned up. Looks like summer finally arrived. I have been enjoying it as much as I can through large windows, shorts walks to and from work and while wiping sweat off my face and gasping for breath at soccer practice.

Hopefully some day soon I will be able to really enjoy it with a day off, some ice cream, a bike ride--maybe even a dip in the lake!

5 comments:

Meredith June 2, 2010 at 5:06 PM  

You are totally having more of a summer so far than we are. It's rain, rain, rain around here.

Also, I'm digging the word misunderstimations. I think I will use it from now on and when Justin asks if it's a real word, I'll tell him absolutely :)

Sonya June 2, 2010 at 9:02 PM  

OMGosh did he seriously use that word? wouldnt surprise me in the least..lol

Im sorry about the game:( next time you will go in swinging..err kicking and take back that win :)

Whoo hoo on the bank account..hopefully the money comes rollin in soon:)

Summer has come to The Netherlands. We are supposed to hit 85 this weekend..people are going to freak out over that one..lol

Unknown June 3, 2010 at 6:39 PM  

Attack of the Bushisms. Oh Lisa :)

Leslie June 4, 2010 at 12:46 AM  

Misunderestimations ~ love it. I can understand how you would start to lose your proper english after living abroad for so long.

Gorgeous photos!!!

beaverboosh June 7, 2010 at 12:40 PM  

i play against ghetto\tough\dirty business folks... i know what ya mean... next time girl, next time!

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP