I ♥ Reeses
>> Wednesday, March 3, 2010
My good friend Meredith is hosting a bit of a photography experiment and I am going to do my best to play along. Heck, I love taking pictures and need a good excuse to get to know my camera better! (If you want to join up too, you definitely should! She is using McLinky so everyone can link up and check out each others' efforts! Go visit her!)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lesson 1: Aperture Basic Training
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's the basic idea:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Don't let all the fancy language scare you off--f/stop and aperture are the same thing.
- F/stop numbers dictate how much of your photo will be in focus.
- A low f/stop number means less of your picture is in focus. High f/stop number means more of your picture is in focus.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had two very generous models that so graciously agreed to be involved with this week's lesson. They came to me in the mail recently and I am very grateful. They were, of course, gobbled up right after the photo shoot.
f/4:
Nothing but the tasty morsels in focus
Nothing but the tasty morsels in focus
f/29: Basically everything's in focus. Pretty lame picture.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I have confirmed what I already suspected; I really like low aperture settings for close ups. The first picture is the only one that is aesthetically pleasing to me.
Thank you lesson one! And thank you Mere for hosting!


14 comments:
This is so cool. I kind have a lame camera, but I am going to try this! I gave really been wanting to learn more about taking pictures and you guys inspire me!
yummmm... Reese's...
Oh, yeah, first picture blows the other two away without question. Nicely done, hippo.
Where did u get those reeses? those are like gold here you know..LOL
Love the first pic for sure.
I knew this was you as soon as I saw the title :)
I love it! Your subject is awesome and I completely agree with you, I'm all about the low f/stop for close-ups now too!
And thanks for making me want a big 'ole Reese's now ;)
Hey, I learned that in photography class...depth of field?...I believe.
-Em
Yes, I really like the first photo too
Yeah I like the first picture the best too.. I can set manual aperature settings on my camera but I'm still learning.. would love to be able to take pics like that!
Thanks for the lesson...I love my camera but am clueless how to use it. When I get back to an English speaking country I need to take a class. Have a great day!
thanks for the f stop tutorial and my mouth is now watering for one of those reeses cups. poor me, i live in germany: (
also, since a high f stop is all my point and shoot has, i'm extremely challenged to take a great photo. but i try anyway. i tried over a hundred times today, and am very pleased with 2.
and then i tweaked the brightness and contrast with the gimp and ran out to my husband's office and said, "am i going to hell? i just tweaked my photos and changed the lighting. i'm having a moral dilemna. what i've done feels dishonest."
just the brightness and contrast made my so-so photos look like calendar shots. but the guilt!
~lytha in germany
Well, my camera is too cheesy to do any of this fancy stuff! Drat! Maybe your tutorials will give me an excuse to go buy a better one! Any suggestions??
I like the pictures -not sure my camera can do that! As for the Reese's, well, I am saved now and then because the 7-11 shops in Denmark carry them!! :)
Check out http://www.merakoh.com/ where my friend from the Seattle area, Me Ra Koh, has started a fascinating business with her photography. I first met her about 9 years ago when she wrote a book on her personal experience with date rape. Now she is empowering women to express themselves (and overcome personal difficulties) via photography and has an award-winning DVD on how to photograph kids.
Post a Comment