Drip... drip... drip...

>> Tuesday, March 9, 2010

My good friend (and college roommate!) Meredith is hosting a photography tutorial. This is week two! It's not too late to join up if you are interested. Go visit her!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lesson 2: ISO and Shutter Speed
Click on the lesson title to read it in more detail!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's the basic idea:
  • ISO describes how sensitive your "film" (or digital sensor) is to light.
  • The higher the ISO number, the quicker the image will be captured and the less light that is needed. And vice versa.
  • So use 100 or 200 for shooting outdoors or with bright lights, 400 for something in between and 800, 1600 for low light scenarios or action shots.
  • Shutter speed is exactly that--how fast the shutter opens and closes as you are taking your picture.
  • A fast shutter speed can freeze action. A slower shutter speed can create a blurred effect.
Simple. as. that.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now for the weekly challenge.

"Slow" shutter speed: Fast shutter speed:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, now we know--if you are trying to take a picture of a drop of water falling from an icicle it is way cooler if you use as fast of a shutter speed as possible!

Also looks like I have learned that I really need to wash the glass walls of our balcony there! My camera really picked up all the grime and gunk that has accumulated over the winter months. Eew.

9 comments:

Meredith March 10, 2010 at 2:10 AM  

Now THAT is an awesome example of freezing water in motion!

PS- I always love your titles :)

Unknown March 10, 2010 at 4:30 AM  

Awesome subject matter! I'm glad to say we have no icicles here. Yay for spring!

Sonya March 10, 2010 at 9:43 AM  

Awesome..Im going to try that myself..I've wondered why I wasnt able to catch the dripping water like I wanted to!

Lucky Girl March 11, 2010 at 3:30 AM  

That's neat! For a second I sort of wished I had a melting icicle to take a picture of... but only for a second. Nice to know there are some perks to living in cold climates right (coming from a Canadian)?

PiNG aka Patti March 13, 2010 at 9:09 AM  

You're making me want to buy a camera that does more than point and shoot - chances are good, however, that I'd still just put it on the 'dummies' setting and forget what all the other stuff does. :/

Lisa Gilbert March 17, 2010 at 1:35 PM  

Tutorials are swell, nice job! You could also slow your shutter speed waaaay down (use a tripod) to a make for an interesting photo. Believe me, I've had plenty of icicles to practice on this winter....

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP