Cry for help
>> Friday, February 26, 2010
Last winter, I wrote a post about psoriasis and my relationship with the disease. Our relationship is getting serious. If it was up to me, I would break it off now and never look back. Hell, I would hope I could get a restraining order.
But it's not up to me. The psoriasis is definitely wearing the pants in this relationship (what a terribly sexist and now outdated phrase; I wear pants all the time?). Especially my scalp psoriasis is getting out of control. It is spreading all over my scalp, becoming more severe and seriously driving me insane. I used to have a spray prescribed from a dermatologist in the US that I think was fairly effective, but it's empty and I obviously can't refill it now. I think the American tar shampoos I stocked up on might actually make my condition worse. Lars did buy some scalp treatment for me from the local pharmacy (Dexem) but I am not sure if it is helping or hurting. Plus it smells bad. And I can't stop picking at my scalp for the life of me. It is rett og slett uncomfortable. And painful.
Not to mention embarrassing. Sometimes the flakes are so intense that I have actually showered before going to the gym (showering sometimes is the only way to get them all out of my hair). And I know that just doesn't make sense at all. It makes me feel really gross and robs me of enjoying one of my most feminine characteristics!
HELP me get back my hair!
Anyone have any solutions? Suggestions? Advice?

6 comments:
Can you go to a doc there and get an Rx?
I have no other suggestions, but wanted to say I'm sorry and that sucks.
I got nothing, dude. I even looked it up on Wikipedia, and that shit failed me.
Daivonex has had some effect on my scalp. But talk to your doctor.
Norsk Psoriasisforbund, http://psoriasis.no/ has some ideas for treatments but doesn't write the names of the products.
"Psoriasis & Eksem olje" from myrra.no
Pro: -soothes my scalp and removes most of my "dandruff".
-Smells weird instead of nasty.
Con: - Have to leave it in overnight.
- is ridiculusly expensive (about 200,-nkr pr 100 ml)
- lasts for 3-4 days only.
- not scientifically proven.
If the spray you got from your physican in the US was a perscription one, you may still be able to get it in Norway. Possibly for free.
You need to have your personal physican book you an appointment with a dermatologist (and let him know you are willing to travel a bit for your appointment. Since priorities are assigned by urgency "Its uncomfortable" may mean a long wait if you only consider your local area)
Or book a private appointment if you want to just skip the whole triage issue.
Ask the dermatologist for your old spray on what is known as "registreringsfritak".
(Basically the Norwegian system isn't adverse to letting you have medicines that have worked well for you in the past even if they are not normally part of the Norwegian arsenal. But there is a lot of weirdass stuff out there passing for medicine, and since the system normally ends up paying a lot of the costs, they mandate that a specialist recommend it first.)
Post a Comment