Babykino *EDIT*
>> Thursday, May 24, 2012
If you're been following along, or have ever been to Norway, you've probably got it by now that some things are a bit different here.
Portion sizes are smaller, foods are less processed, most everyone drives a stick (and not a Hummer) and garages are seldom part of the house. Sick and maternity leave are legit. Like really alright. Maybe even too alright (but hey that's another post for another time!). There's a lot more political parties, a public transport system that works a tad bit better and of course a measuring system that is actually logical.
I feel like more people smoke here. Or maybe more often. And get drunker. Maybe they drink less often, but get more intoxicated when they first get to it (although I must add Norwegians are super stars when it comes to NOT driving drunk!). There's also a lot less of...well everything. Less choice when it comes to food, activities--you name it. And less accessibility. Stores close early on Saturdays, aren't open at all on Sundays or holidays. If you forgot the turkey for Thanksgiving (which is obviously not celebrated here ;) but just a good example), you're out of luck; there's no Albertsons open until five to save the day. There's also the classic "open on Tuesdays, Thursdays and every other Saturday but not from 11-12.30 when they have lunch" kind of hours.
Movie theaters are no exception--I've never encountered one that opens before 4pm. But today while reading the newspaper, soaking up the sun (the weather has been incredible lately!) and drinking a glass of white wine in my bikini on our awesome balcony after a glorious chicken salad dinner, I learned that once in awhile there are 12 o'clock showings at the Hamar movie theater. They are called babykino. Baby means baby, kino means the movies or movie theater...so Baby Theater? Something like that...but the point is babies are allowed--welcome even!
This is one of the many, small reasons why life in Norway makes me smile. What a great offer for moms or dads that are staying at home enjoying the awesome m/paternity leave offered and bonding with their kid over a cinematic adventure, all while simultaneously NOT ruining the entire experience for other kid-free viewers.
Go Norway, I like the your style.
Babykino, what a great idea!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*EDIT*
I got some great comments on this post right away, pointing out that Babykino in some forms also exist in the US! I suspected this might be true (because seriously, finding things Norway has that the U.S. doesn't is a heavy task!) and thought I threw a disclaimer in there, but that slipped my mind. Must have been the wine. Or the slight sun burn. ;) So that's great. Go USA, I like your style too.
And since I'm in here editing my post already, I would love to give a shout out to my life long friend Tim who is currently living in Australia who wrote me an email commenting on this post. I have copied his work for years and see no reason to stop now. His thoughts cracked me up:
your piece about store hours and such in Norway was close to my heart. Oz is the same way, it's a strange adjustment some days.
for any of the negatives, I really appreciate how countries like ours (adopted) actually focus on taking care of the populace. what a novel fucking idea. what's that? time off when you bring a new human into the world? a minimum wage you can actually live on? healthcare so you won't go bankrupt from a hospital admission? affordable education?and for all that, we suffer a lack of 24 hour Walmarts where we can buy cheap shit we don't need at all hours because you can't afford to staff the atrocity. i'll take it.
We used to make Muddy Buddies (Chex Mix coverered in everything bad for you and sprinkled with powdered sugar? Nasty) and drive them around to all of our closest mutual friends. Now that's holiday spirit!


7 comments:
Here in Oslo we have Kid Theater, "barnas cinemateket", which is short children's films, for children, shown in a small theater specifically designed for children. We took our niece when she last visited us, and it was pretty awesome. There was a large play area with toys and activities, and then the theater was a small room with a projector and bean bags strewn all over for the kids to lounge on. It was a perfect experience for a "first timer" to the movies like my niece, who didn't understand a) that you have to be quiet during films, and b) they are long. She was able to leave whenever she wanted and go play with all the toys. One more point for Norway!
They actually have these in the US too! I know there is one in Seattle (well, Bellevue) and I've been before in NJ. I was sans kid (I was visiting a friend with a kid and we decided to check it out) but thought it was pretty cool. They show chick flicks, of course!
Yeah (hate to break it to you, Lisa) but we had a "babykino" in Hanover, NH, in the great ol' US of A, too. Of course, I never found time during my measly 12 weeks of maternity leave to go. Maybe if I had had 52 weeks I could have taken advantage of it.
In fact, I've thought about going to Babykino here in Lillehammer ALONE without a baby, just because it's the only time a movie is playing before 4pm!!
i didnt know they had this here! i knew they had them in the US because everytime id go to a matinee id see loads of kids running around waiting on their movie to start...but i didnt realize norway had them too. guess that is what i get for being too poor to even go to the movies in the first place ;)
I've heard of "Babykino" before, but there's no place nearby that offers them...I wish there were! I think it's a great idea, both in the US and Norway!
I also love when stores are closed on Sundays and/or holidays.
Tim is a man after my own heart.
So does babykino mean that infants are discouraged/forbidden from later showings? Not that I'm a cranky asshole or anything, but that sounds delightful, were it to be true.
Thanks Baloo. I, too, am interested primarily in the bear necessities.
I love that picture so much. Lisa: cool, calm, looking natural in the Santa hat. Tim: shit-eating grin, Strongbad shirt, wearing a dunce hat. Souls: captured.
Post a Comment