Me no speak English good.

>> Thursday, July 7, 2011

Last summer my family gave me a bit of a hard time--apparently I sounded more like a Norwegian than an American when speaking English. I remember even after I had only lived in Norway for 7-8 months and went home and worked for the summer as a waitress there were a few different customers that refused to believe I was born in the US.

One of my sisters commented that it always sounded like I was asking a question. This must be thanks to the sing-songy-ness of Scandinavian language. I totally blank on English words and format my sentences with Norwegian structures. Do you think this has gotten better after being here even longer? And especially now that I have added Norwegian sleep-talking to the mix?? Doubtful. And kinda embarrassing.

To make it even worse, when my boss Hai and Frank (Victoriahaven's manager's husband) were renovating the restaurant, there were understandably some delirious late nights. And the boys thought it was a kick to speak stereotypically bad norsk/engelsk or Norwish or Englwegian or whatever you want to call it. And everything at that time of night with those dudes was hilarious. So of course, I joined them. And am now terrified that I will never break the habit. ;)

Frank building the bar

Hai getting his paint on

Luckily we've got quite a few English speaking employees in the kitchen so I get to practice a little before we visit WA this summer (JULY 26th-AUG 15th!!!).

Me screwing together the outdoor furniture

Strange to feel like a tourist in your own country.
Ya sure ya betcha.

10 comments:

Anonymous,  July 7, 2011 at 3:11 PM  

HAHAH! can you please come to Bergen and give me some Norwegian lessons ;-)

Jaymo,  July 7, 2011 at 3:34 PM  

Well, I never really did speak the Queen's English all that well to begin with, though I can't say living in Norway has made it worse -:) Hope you have a deliriously good time back home, and be sure to whip out your Norsk-fu whenever possible!

Stacey July 7, 2011 at 3:36 PM  

At least you can still type in English...

Meredith July 7, 2011 at 5:26 PM  

YOU ARE COMING TO WA THIS SUMMER?!!!

Unknown July 7, 2011 at 11:00 PM  

Perhaps you should label that last picture "Me assembling the outdoor furniture"?

Elisa July 8, 2011 at 4:47 AM  

I appreciate the warning... But I will still make fun of you :)

Formerly known as Frau July 8, 2011 at 1:29 PM  

Too funny! Not that I ever mastered the German language but certainly worded my english different and talked slower. My daughter would make fun of me overtime we visited USA why are you talking that way they understand English. Have a wonderful visit home!

Baloo July 9, 2011 at 12:26 AM  

OH FUCK YEAH YOU'RE COMING TO WA??? I'LL ACTUALLY BE THERE!!!!

Also, I seriously need to find a German lady. This seems like one of those good problems.

Sarah Elisabeth July 11, 2011 at 9:40 AM  

Hahah trust me, you're not alone on this. This is, unfortunately, how pretty much all Americans turn out after living here! Even my American exchange student friend has been struggling with her American. It happens to everybody so just enjoy it! Probably helps make you a unique person!

Anonymous,  July 20, 2011 at 12:34 PM  

I know how you feel =_=

I never really realized it but a good friend who had been away from DK for a long time and recently met me has pointed out that my English sounds very Danish.

This is unwanted. I want my normal English accent back!

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP