Stumptown

>> Friday, September 18, 2009

I took a trip to visit my cousin Gitta in Vancouver this past "weekend" (I refer to MY weekend, which is Mon/Tues). She just recently bought a condo (yes bought!!) that is absolutely awesome and so perfect for her. She has really got it going on right now--she landed a great new job as a RN in an exquisite hospital close to her place, she lives with a super cool gal who happens to be her best friend from college and a paying tenant and seems to be genuinely happy with what life is throwing her way. Well, but really, how upset could you be if you lived within walking distance of this view?

I made the three hour drive earlyish Monday morning and hung around the condo/house with Brigitta for a few hours catching up before we headed out for miles and miles of walking. We strolled along the Columbia River and into downtown Vancouver. It was a insanely beautiful day and a great opportunity to catch up with my beloved childhood pal.

After that I got to meet Bethany, who I definitely approve of, both as a roommate and a best friend to my cousin. The three of us enjoyed a WONDERFUL dinner at McMenamins (which I definitely recommend) and sat outside as the sun was setting. Honestly, the combination of the incredible lighting, the delicious food and the entertaining conversation was more than enough to satisfy my appetite.

The next day Gitta and I wandered around Portland, taking in the sights and the energy of the laid-back city. A lot more walking was involved, and it was another beautiful day for doing so. I really loved the Portland vibe; for some reason I have always been drawn to Portland and I was not disappointed with my first stab at getting to know Stumptown.

We window shopped on the fancy 23rd St., took a drive up around the residential area and got a great glimpse of Mt. Hood and the city, wandered around Powell's Bookstore and then met Bethany for lunch. She took us to Mother's Bistro where I honestly had the BEST sandwich of my life. The place was adorable--if you are ever in Portland I recommend it unconditionally!

We made our way back to the Washington side of the Columbia and rested a bit. Then it was out for another walk, a mini one this time. I really wanted to dip my toes in that river!

We made our way out to Gitta's hospital where I got to meet some of her coworkers and see what my cousin does for 12 hours every day! And then, after filling my tank with gas, I was home bound, back to good 'ol Poulsbo, the place that will always be home.

2 comments:

Meredith September 18, 2009 at 4:19 PM  

I love Portland. All the places you ate at are fantastic.

Also, there's a place up there somewhere called "Stumptown Coffee"....yeah, I stole one of their signs once for J's friend Stump. Not my proudest moment, but it made me feel pretty darn rebellious.

Baloo September 19, 2009 at 12:38 AM  

Portland is the shit. Vancouver, I think, should be burned to the ground, and the land it stood upon salted, and its inhabitants scattered to the winds, lest future generations attempt to resurrect its unholy glory.

You know, like Rome did with Carthage.

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP