En god helg

>> Sunday, November 16, 2008

Going inside the Viking Ship was awesome. It is an indoor ice skating arena that was built for the 1994 for the Olympic Games. The show we went to was called the Ice Festival and it introduced us to an interesting subculture that you would have never known existed in Hamar. Derby cars, motor bikes, go carts, bumping systems...it was pretty crazy.





There was an older man sitting next to me that was really giving me some good laughs. He was watching the show alone, but was enjoying it like he was there with some of his best old friends...laughing and smiling over at me and Lars (and anyone else that was close by).

It was a good experience to see something new and different, and yes, it was thrilling to see some of those fast cars and crazy stunts. But at the same time I know that both Lars and I were thinking that a lot of those guys were really off their rockers. They were driving around on ice at 110 mph IN A CIRCLE!?!? And seriously...there is a line that is crossed easily when a stereo is so loud that it hurts your ears and you can't tell what song is playing. Easily crossed.

On Sunday Lars and I went for a walk to check out the ruins of the old cathedral in Hamar. It was great to get out and get some fresh air and explore some parts of Hamar that I haven't seen yet. Even though it was pretty warm (above zero haha) the ground was pretty slippery and Lars and I had to tone down our speed walking a bit. ;) The lake was gorgeous, and it was nice to be walking with someone else instead of running alone!



The old church was impressive. Construction began in 1152 and the cathedral was completed in 1200. Lars told me that the Swedish destroyed the cathedral and it turns out he was right (that never happens) :). It was ruined in 1567 during the Seven Years War. Now, they have built this huge glass structure around the ruins to protect them from prying eyes and fingers, and most likely the elements. And who knows, maybe it is an attempt to thwart the Swedes if they get any more nasty ideas.

It was a nice day...Lars and I had a good time getting some exercise and checking out some sights. Sundays are really quiet around town. It is always nice to be able to take a day to be a tourist in your own city. Or in a city you have recently adopted... ;)

2 comments:

Meredith November 17, 2008 at 3:39 PM  

Oh my lord. Justin and my redneck friends would LOVE the ice and car thing. Remind me never to tell them it exists, or they'll try it on the street :)

Lisa November 17, 2008 at 5:35 PM  

I told Lars multiple times that I was really glad that we didn't drive there so he didn't get any dumb ideas on the way home haha. And sure enough when we were leaving we saw a few cars peeling out and just in general being stupid and dangerous.

I will admit that it was cool to see though...as much as I it is not really my thing. But an hour of cars driving in circles? Mmmm, I could have lived without it. ;)

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP